Monday, June 13, 2011

in response to "A Gay Girl in Damascus" blog/hoax

When I read the post reporting Amina's disappearance at http://damascusgaygirl.blogspot.com/, I was deeply saddened that the "bad guys" might have won and that her voice might be silenced. But when I heard that Amina was rumored to be a hoax, my feelings of support and solidarity did not change. Whether fictional or not, the voice was authentic and even more importantly, a minority all too often silenced.
I support Tom MacMaster and I hope he finds time one day to write Amina a book. Her story is worth reading and I would gladly buy any such book. Most of all, I support all dissidents who dare to defy parental expectations, state society, and tradition in defense of their own moral compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment